Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Little Voice

"I have a story to tell." That is what the little voice in my head says to me everyday. It's been saying it to me for years and years. In fact, it's been saying it for so long that when I joined Blogger today, I discovered that I had already joined in March 2010 and I don't even remember! I was stunned to "start" an account today and discover that I already had one. I also don't remember picking the user name "DanceLaughLuv" but it totally fits me...then and now.
  
"I am a writer." The little voice in my head tells me that too everyday. Writing is my comfort. It's what I run to when I feel like I'm drowning. It's what I do when I feel overwhelmed with emotion and joy. I'm that person who usually writes a novel in a birthday card. I'm the friend who wrote five pages in your yearbook. I'm the girl who imagined herself as Carrie Bradshaw - and not because of her sexcapades. I'm the woman whose secret dream is to one day sit across from Oprah and discuss my new book. From the time I was 12 until I was 32 I kept a journal regularly. Then email came along and I started writing to friends. Then Facebook came along and I started posting long-ass "status updates" that I know are way too long. In other words, I am a writer.
  
Writing is in my DNA. Literally. Six years ago, I learned that my birth-mother kept journals and wrote poetry. Six months ago, I learned that my paternal great-great grandfather wrote and published a book about his life. Learning that piece about my ancestry really hit me. It made me weep happy tears. I took it as a sign that writing is what I am supposed to do.
  
I never really had big career aspirations. When I was a little girl, all I knew was that I wanted to be a mom someday. Later in my teens and in my 20's I used to say "When I grow up I want to be happy." Well, guess what! My only two aspirations came true. So now what?
  
"I have courage." That is also what the little voice in my head reminds me of everyday. I have courage to tell my story. I have courage to follow my heart. I have courage to embrace what brings me comfort and joy. I have courage to be vulnerable and share. I have courage to be me...a writer.

Jackie

4 comments:

  1. YEAH! I so admire your courage and your big, huge heart and beautiful voice. Can't wait to read MORE! mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Celeste! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lo sospeche desde el principio !
    Será un placer seguirte

    ReplyDelete

Hello Dear Reader:

If you comment, I will buy you a cookie. Not really. But we can both pretend I gave you one. To get you started...what's your favorite kind of cookie? Mine is chocolate chip. I especially crave them when I'm PMS'ing.